[Wine] Trying to run (tweak) a few games on Wine

Jokerz jokerz at debil.lv
Sun Jul 5 10:37:24 CDT 2009

dimesio wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a relatively new user to Linux, it's only been two weeks since I'm
> using it. I'm trying to run two games right now : Halo and Live for Speed.
> Here are the issues for each.
>
> Halo :
> Performance in Halo is excellent, it's actually better in Linux than it
> was in Windows XP. Frame rate is good, looks like solid 60 FPS all the
> time. The only problem is the mouse movement is really choppy. I've tried
> to move the pointer with a USB Mouse and the Touchpad and they both have
> similar behavior. It feels like the mouse can only move on a grid of
> positions rather than whole screen. I've tried switching resolutions and
> using a virtual desktop and the same thing happens.
> Version of Halo being used : Halo Custom Edition 1.07
>
> Live for Speed :
> I've noticed that performance for this game was worse than Windows XP. I
> was able in Windows XP to race with multiple cars at 60FPS. Now in Linux,
> at the same track, and the same amount of cars, I can't do more than
> 30FPS, which isn't good enough for me as I'm very sensitive to low
> framerate. Are there any tweaks that are known to increase performance in
> DirectX8 games ? Also, trying to register the game gives the message :
> "Cannot find Windows Product ID". Everything else works fine though.
> Version of Live for Speed : Live for Speed S2Z
>
> Specifications :
> Wine 1.1.11
> Ubuntu Linux 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
> Dell XPS m1530
> Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 GHz, 4MB Cache
> nVidia GeForce 8600m GT 256MB DDR3
> 3GB RAM DDR667

Hi! :]

About the registering, open wine configuration, add the patch or crack youre
using to register Live For Speed, in application settings to use windows
version windows 98. The patch doesnt read Product id`s from old windows
versions.
:)

Worked for me, hope it works for you.  :)
Have a nice day.