[Wine] Is it possible to run an application with a different date?

Sibiryak wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jul 8 14:53:54 CDT 2009

Hi,

I need to run a Windows application within Wine, but modify the system date that is perceived by the application.  That is, when the app queries the date, it needs to get a different date from the actual system date.  I am guessing that Wine is the perfect place to do that in, since it interfaces the program to the actual system.  However, I don't know enough about the inner workings of Wine to be sure.

I would like to know if it is possible to do in Wine and if anyone knows how to do that.

If you are curious why I need to change the date:

there is a program called SD/FAST that is very good at a particular type of high-accuracy dynamic simulations.  I have a bunch of code that interfaces with it and an expired license for it.  I would gladly renew the license, but the company went out of business a few years ago.

So far, I have been running it under windows and have been changing the system date to run the program.  However, I want to move the code development into Linux, because I am much more comfortable developing under it.  Changing the system date from a build script is ugly (you need to be su, for starters, and then there are many programs that rely on correct system date), so I was wondering if this could be done through the Wine interface.

There is a Windows tool "RunAsDate" that claims to do just what I want by intercepting kernel API calls.  Should I try running that tool in Wine?