[Wine] Printer in wine on OS X?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Jul 9 09:50:45 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 08:15 -0500, lschafroth wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> >
> > $ nc localhost 631
> > $
> > [socket closed straightaway]
> >
> > This means CUPS isn't listening or has some other error.
> >
> > $ nc localhost 631
> > [you don't get a prompt straight back]
> > Hello world
> > [you get an HTML page back reporting a 405 error]
> > $
> >
> > This means that CUPS is alive and listening to port 631.
> >
> > Martin
>

> I tried the command above and it just sits there.  It does not end at
> all, but never returns anything.  I ended up killing the process.

Are you quite sure that CUPS is using port 631?

Its worth checking, so run the following command as root:

	netstat -apn | grep ':631'

netstat shows a lot of garbage, so I've used grep to only show the IPP-
related lines. If you're not running it as root you'll see '-' instead
of the pid and program name: netstat has to run as root to get the name
of the program using each port. On my system I see:

tcp     0   0 0.0.0.0:631     0.0.0.0:*      LISTEN    2523/cupsd
tcp     0   0 :::631               :::*      LISTEN    2523/cupsd
udp     0   0 0.0.0.0:631     0.0.0.0:*                2523/cupsd

which says that cups is listening on port 631 for incoming TCP/IP
connections using IPV4 and IPV6 protocols and for UDP datagrams. netstat
lines contain a lot more whitespace than I've shown so I edited the
blanks out to make it more readable. If you've disabled IPV6 on your Mac
then you'll only see the first and third of these lines.

If netstat shows that cupsd (the CUPS printing service) owns port 631
then the CUPS configuration is incorrect, because it has opened the port
but is ignoring any attempts to connect to it. Double check that you
have CUPS configured to listen for 'internet connections' - on my Fedora
10 distro this is disabled by default.

Martin