[Wine] problem with windows program in linux in virtual machine...

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Thu Jul 9 10:22:34 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 10:08, barnabyr<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Thanks very much for doing a bug report for me.
> I have scoured other posts and some people have recommended using winetricks. How would I install this. I have looked at the instructions and sadly it doesn't make sense to me a linux newb. Could someone talk me through it with step by step instructions, please?
The winetricks wiki page has most of the  instructions... (Someone
else can post more detailed instructions if they want...)

> Am I right in assuming that when people talk about a prompt it's the same as the terminal?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: The terminal is a program that runs text mode
applications (a shell by default / in this case) and allows you to
interact with it. The shell displays a prompt, which is where you type
the commands. (The shell is actually quite powerful and can be
scripted as well, see something like this if you are interested:
http://partmaps.org/era/unix/shell.html (An ancient Bourne shell
tutorial)). If you are using Linux, your default shell would probably
be bash, which has some nice features to make life easier (Try tab
after you started typing a filename / command name...)

(Other terminals than gnome-terminal / konsole / xterm in Linux: Press
Ctrl-Alt-F1 (F2, etc should work as well, X usually run on
Ctrl-Alt-F7) on most distributions to get a text-mode terminal)

Gert