[Wine] Re: Steam Games Don't Work. Please Help!

MooTM wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jul 14 12:24:22 CDT 2009

vitamin wrote:

> David Griffith wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you guys are stumbling over, but I just lauched Portal and it works fine except for some choppyness from a high load average.
>
> Portal and TF2 are two totally different games now. Yes they had the same engine to begin with, but that was long time ago.
>
> Valve added lots of extras to TF2, with each adding more problems to Wine. About a year ago I could run long demos with TF2 in offline mode. Now same demos play for 10-30 seconds and TF2 crashes.

Portal doesn't work either! I doubt that HL2, HL2:Ep. 1, or HL2:Ep. 2 work either (I have the Orange Box). Even though I haven't bothered installing them because my bro is going to reformat my computer because it's all messed up. For example (This isn't a wine problem) My Synaptic Package Mangager doesn't work!
When I click on Software Updates, it says:

Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

When I type anything into Software Management it says either:

Package cache could not be opened

or

Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

 :(  HELP! :(

(Thanks so much to everyone who has helped so far! You have all been awsome! :D )