[Wine] New to Wine and Linux/Ubuntu

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 19:54:55 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 7:12 PM, mikedn1982<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I apologize for the basic questions, but I only recently discovered the benefits of Ubuntu/Linux as well as Wine.  As I basically know nothing, my questions are pretty simple:
>
> 1) As I will be using Linux/Ubuntu (along with wine) for business purposes, is Wine and what it does 100% legal?

Of course! The code is implemented in a clean room reverse engineering
way. The use of native DLLs, however, may violate Windows EULA (but
that depends on the DLL, and if your country allows that restriction
or not).

> 2) Can I open and use both a Linux based program and a windows based program (using wine obviously) at the same time?

Yes. Wine run windows programs try very hard to integrate into your
native Linux desktop. Try running 'wine notepad' for an example.

> 3) One program that I specifically have to use, which will require Wine, is not a complicated program (It is used to monitor telephone use in a call center), but at the same time is not a very well known or popular one.  Does anyone forsee any issues in Wine being able to run a program like this?

You can check http://appdb.winehq.org to see if it's listed. Does it
use the modem? I don't think that works in wine...

--
-Austin