[Wine] no game seems to work with wine

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 06:51:01 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Freakazo<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Your Graphics card is ancient, I mean really ancient.
> It doesn't even support directX 9.
>
> I think Wine is forced to use some opengl features in software (that's why the games that work are so slow) and some features aren't available at all (Z-buffer). So if you upgrade your graphics card to any newer graphics card that might solve your problem.

I successfully used starcraft with wine on that card over 4 years ago
and dozens of versions of wine. Before that I used a Gforce2 card and
2003xxxx or 2004xxxx versions of wine. And even that performed good
with starcraft and wine. At one point however things got slower and
the fix was to go full screen at 640x480 to have good performance.
Back then I used the following shell scripts to do that:

john at jmd0 ~/old $ cat starcraft.sh
#!/bin/sh

# Game parameters.
PROGRAM="c:/Program Files/Starcraft/Starcraft.exe"
SCREEN_RES="640x480" # Must match screen identifier in XF86Config
SCREEN_BPP="16"      # Must be defined for screen in XF86Config
GAMMA="1.0"

~/winerun.sh "$PROGRAM" $SCREEN_RES $SCREEN_BPP $GAMMA

john at jmd0 ~/old $ cat winerun.sh
#!/bin/sh

PROGRAM=$1
PROGRAM_FOLDER=$2
SCREEN_RES=$3
SCREEN_BPP=$4
GAMMA=$5

shift
shift
shift
shift
shift

# Sensitivity works according to "xset mouse"
MOUSE_SENSITIVITY="1.15/15"

# Display number to use
DISPLAY_NUMBER=":2"

# Nice priority to give to wine. Note some games (ex Starcraft) do not like -20.
PRIORITY=-10

# extract
#APPDIR=${PROGRAM%/*}
#APPEXE=./${PROGRAM##*/}
APPDIR=${PROGRAM_FOLDER}
APPEXE=${PROGRAM}

SCRIPT="xgamma -gamma $GAMMA
 xset mouse $MOUSE_SENSITIVITY
 cd $HOME/.wine/dosdevices/$APPDIR
 pwd
 nice $PRIORITY wine $APPEXE $*
 wait"

# Run full screen on display 1.
export DISPLAY=$DISPLAY_NUMBER

# Make sure user is allowed to use display 1.
#[ "`xauth list $DISPLAY_NUMBER`" ] || xauth add $DISPLAY_NUMBER .
#`mcookie`

xinit /bin/sh -c "$SCRIPT" -- $DISPLAY -screen $SCREEN_RES -depth $SCREEN_BPP

These started a new X session accessible by pressing ctrl-alt-f8 and
by pressing ctrl-alt-f7 got you back to your default X session.

John