[Wine] New Linux user with installation woes

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:09:56 CDT 2009

On 07/23/2009 03:31 PM, MrNoodle wrote:

> ...I'm a total newbie with the whole Linux thing...

Welcome!  But be prepared for frustration, because MicroSoft wants it that
way.

> I've currently got a dual boot Ubuntu/Windows XP setup with a wireless
 > adaptor as my means of internet. The driver that comes with the adaptor
> only talks Windows, and so it won't appear to work when I boot in Ubuntu...

As others have already posted, wine uses the linux network to connect to
the internet, so your first step is to get linux connected to the internet.

I know that ubuntu has a large and helpful group of people ready to help
you do that on their user forums, mailing lists, IRC, etc. so that's the
place to start.  Once your linux connects to the internet, then this is
the place to come back to.

Good luck, and be patient -- it's worth it.