[Wine] Help printing please!!!

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Jul 28 06:20:00 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 23:34 -0500, vitamin wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > The OP says he has CUPS up and running. CUPS can handle network printers, so he should configure the printer on CUPS, if he hasn't already done it, and then set Wine to use the printer via CUPS.
>
> Right, but you still can't tell Wine to use "\\printer1\tickets"
> printer. You need to use valid CUPS printer names (which ever those
> might be - dunno, never needed to specify one this way).

I'd assumed the OP would know that since he has CUPS running but didn't
know that CUPS can handle networked printers, but in case he doesn't,
you just use the name you've assigned the printer in the CUPS
configuration. If it is properly set up you should never need to know
how CUPS connects to a printer.

As an example I have an LJ5 with the 3rd party JetNet internal server
card. I configured the printer as LJ5 using the parallel port and as
JetNet using the network connection. I set JetNet as the CUPS default
printer. This means that typing any of the following commands into a
terminal window will print the 'print.txt' file:

lpr print.txt		# sends the file to JetNet by default
lpr -P JetNet print.txt	# explicitly prints using the LJ5 as
                        # a network printer
lpr -P LJ5 print.txt 	# explicitly prints using the LJ5 via its
                        # parallel port

In most graphical programs, you simply select the CUPS name for the
printer from the list of available printers.

Martin