[Wine] Re: how to navigate files instaled on wine

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jul 30 05:19:24 CDT 2009

ect1 wrote:
> hi im newbie user
> how to navigate files instaled on wine
> c:\\program filess\\ etc

Wine uses what is called a WINEPREFIX t store its local data. This allows a user to have multiple WINEPREFIXes. So, that means it does not store itself in the equivalent to a Windows drive, it stores itself in a folder. Since you say you're a newbie user, I highly doubt you use a different wine prefix, so wine probably uses the default which is:
~/.wine (where ~ means your home folder, for instance: /home/jorl17)

Inside that wine folder there is a folder called drive_c which is the equivalent to C:\. So to navigate program files you should access:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files

If you use Gnome, I am sure you have a shortcut that says "Browse C:\ Drive" in one of the panel's menus. However, in some distros (such as recent Ubuntu releases), this shortcut is broken.

Hope that helped:

Jorl17