[Wine] Uninstall old wine version and install new version

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 10:21:19 CDT 2009

> I did a forum search and found 16 pages for uninstalling wine. Only one was semi-helpful.
>
> What I got was:
>>
>> [Bakshara at Bakshara ~]$ rmdir ~/.wine
>> rmdir: failed to remove `/home/Bakshara/.wine': Directory not empty

This is not about uninstalling wine. Its about deleting your installed
applications to start with a clean wine prefix. In most cases this is
unnecessary. For example I am using the same prefix for the last 3
years. I have created additional prefixes to test applicatoions but I
have not deleted .wine and the applications I installed with whatever
wine version existed at that time still work..

> What do I need to do?
>
> I want to uninstall wine 1.1.24 and install 1.1.26.

Generally your package manager does this for you. How did you install wine?

> I currently only have three apps installed. So any thing I will loose will be easy to reinstall.

As I said before you do not need to do this. The wine installation is
in no way tied to your wine prefix so you can leave the installed
applications alone and still upgrade wine.

John