[Wine] Re: How can I detect WINE from my program?

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jun 2 08:37:33 CDT 2009

majkl

Number one if wine does not have a test case for a particular bit of missing function it needs to be coded.  Of course there are the odd function or two were you cannot use a detect.

Seams strange to windows coders at first is that the best way to detect wine and other emulators is the person sitting behind the keyboard.

Problem with those render errors some of them are not wine but the video driver being used too.   World of Warcraft of all things has a game config file you edit to enable overrides.   This is perfectly fine to wine users.   Basically include in instructions enable this to make X problem go away.

Advantage of this method is simple the day wine does support doing that you don't need to release another binary with you hack removed to restore full function.

If you can detect using normal windows calls if a function is working on not use that.  If you cannot simply use a configuration in file or registry for the application.

Detecting wine itself is the wrong path.