[Wine] (Dar)Wine and The Bat!

accolon wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jun 2 14:17:24 CDT 2009

Greetings,

I'm trying to run The Bat! (email client by RITlabs) on Mac OS X 10.5.7 with the most current XQuartz installed.

I compiled Wine 1.1.22 using MacPorts and confirmed it is working for simple Windows applications. (Btw, is this Wine or Darwine, since MacPorts seems to download and compile the official Wine sources?)

After installing The Bat!, it starts up and immediately quits with the following error message:

Code:
Error Themida
Cannot open oreans.vdx driver. Make sure that oreans.vdx is not open by
another program.

I found out that Themida is some kind of anti-cracking solution which seems to cause problems with other applications and Wine, too (e.g. Maple Story). But since people claimed The Bat! is working with Wine, I tried to run it on Ubuntu linux -- indeed, this works!

On Mac OS, the "oreans.vxd" file remains inside the Wine c_drive/windows folder after the error message forces The Bat! to quit. On Ubuntu and Windows, there's no sign of this file. I suppose the driver is installed and removed automatically, perhaps hiding itself while running.

The question is, why does this work on Wine 1.1.22 using Ubuntu, but not using the same version on Mac OS?