[Wine] Wine Installation Error

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Jun 3 15:05:00 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 14:07 -0500, Rituparna wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Linux. I am trying to install Wine on my RHEL 5. I keep
> getting this message.

At a guess that's because you're trying to use RedHat's support for RHEL
5, which doesn't have free support. Supporting RedHat Enterprise Linux
is how RedHat make their money. I think you have two choices:

1) pay for support for RHEL

2) Download a Fedora 10 or 11 ISO image, burn a DVD from it and
   then replace RHEL 5 with Fedora.

Fedora is RedHat's for-free distro. All the upgrade mirrors, etc will
'just work' and you'll have the most recent versions of all packages
since the Fedora maintenance/release cycle is faster than RHEL (6 month
release cycle vs. 12-18 months).

Martin