[Wine] vm86 mode is not supported

hbar wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jun 4 14:27:30 CDT 2009

Greetings humans, first post alert.

I've used the search to no avail...I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 on an AMD64.  I have Wine version 1.1.22, and it seems to have installed ok.  I can run winecfg no problem, and also notepad from the applications menu, which is really the only test I know how to do.

I've got a piece of software called PL/SQL Developer, which is in the apps db and looks to work.  I've also seen on their user forum where people have it working, no problem.  But when I try to install, I get this:

Code:

cnelson at pcda5561:~/Desktop$ wine plsqldev715.exe
wine: Cannot start DOS application "E:\\home\\cnelson\\Desktop\\plsqldev715.exe"
      because vm86 mode is not supported on this platform.
cnelson at pcda5561:~/Desktop$

It looks like I'm not the only person to have this issue in wine, but I haven't found much (any?) documentation on how to resolve it.  Your help is appreciated.