[Wine] Re: Reporting a Complaint

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jun 6 14:54:32 CDT 2009

alienjon wrote:
> I understand, and don't necessarily disagree with what he was trying to say, but the problem was the tone and words he used to express himself.  At this point I have heard back from an administrator and do not wish to pursue the complaint farther (I consider the issue 'registered', if you will, and do not wish to bring potentially unwarrented attention towards this developer)

The fact that your distro's default configuration is incomplete - missing _major_ parts, like dbus, gnutls, lcms, libgphoto2 enough to send your report downstream to gentoo. Especially considering their POV on 32-bit apps in 64-bit distro.

If you think that part "X" of Wine is not required, I'd agree with you only when you show me any Windows version with that part "X" absent. Or a guarantee that all developers in the world that write for Windows don't use this part "X" except for exactly what it's intended for. Considering that MSDN had never said "don't use this API unless you using X" anything purposely removed from Wine is an invalid configuration.

alienjon wrote:
> However, as for the reason for the post, I disagree that compiling wine to include libgphoto2 or the other library (I can't remember it off the top of my head) will fix the problem or is necessary for me to solve the problem, as another individual (also using Wine with identical USE-flags in a Gentoo-64 environment) is able to run the program rather well (as s/he reports)

This is all well and good, but you haven't mentioned what video drivers you have and what card and drivers your friend use.