[Wine] (Dar)Wine and The Bat!

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 17:46:52 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 5:40 PM, James
Mckenzie<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> accolon wrote about [Wine]  Re: (Dar)Wine and The Bat!
>>
>>Any idea why this happens? Is this a known bug?
>>
>>Should I file a bug report? Since this is a problem on Mac OS only (at least as far I know), I'm not sure if WineHQ is the right place.
>>
> Yes.  If the problem exists in Wine's code, it needs to be corrected.  However, don't be suprized if the bug is closed as invalid.  This should not happen if you are using MacOSX 10.5.7/XQuartz 2.3.3.2.
>
>>The problem doesn't only exist in the self-compiled Macports version of Wine, but also in Kronenberg's builds and in the current Crossover
>>version.
>>
> Only if we could figure this one out and not break the Linux builds in the process.  Alexandre would be very happy.

The main problem with Wine on Mac and reporting bugs is there is way
too much fragmentation. There are three versions of Darwine, and each
makes its own changes to wine (afaict). Rather than doing this, if you
want Wine on Mac to be considered a 'real' install of Wine, it needs
to be done as any other Unix is. I don't know much about Mac's, but in
my limited testing of it, it built somewhat okay if you installed the
dependencies needed to /usr/local/bin and adjusted $PATH accordingly.

If that can be done on someone's box and built into a .pkg installer,
Wine on Mac would be much better off.

Of course, regular test results (against git), from someone on OS X to
http://test.winehq.org/data would help a lot as well (I can help
anyone interested in that..you just need an OS X build environment and
a few spare CPU cycles daily. The rest is scripted).

> There are issues with the release version of 1.1.23 as well.  Looks like video is running very slow.

File a separate bug.

--
-Austin