[Wine] Re: Reporting a Complaint

alienjon wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 7 12:10:05 CDT 2009

vitamin wrote:
> The fact that your distro's default configuration is incomplete - missing _major_ parts, like dbus, gnutls, lcms, libgphoto2 enough to send your report downstream to gentoo. Especially considering their POV on 32-bit apps in 64-bit distro.

Gentoo is a source-based distribution that focuses on specialization of configuration and compilation.  The concept of a USE flag allows a Gentoo user the capability to enable or disable various facets of a certain package at compile-time.  Build or runtime dependencies, however, are not optional and are not allowed to be changed via these flags.  cups, for example, is not something Wine needs to either compile or to run by itself but may be needed/helpful for certain Wine functionality (this is why I understand that the developer asked me to compile completely - to rule out these other things).  The fact that 'dbus', 'gnutls', etc... were removed as USE flags in the manner they were does NOT indicate that Wine is not being built with those, but rather that they have been changed to required packages for Wine.  (They used to be optional)  For the record, however, I did have those enabled when they were optional.

vitamin wrote:
> f you think that part "X" of Wine is not required, I'd agree with you only when you show me any Windows version with that part "X" absent. Or a guarantee that all developers in the world that write for Windows don't use this part "X" except for exactly what it's intended for. Considering that MSDN had never said "don't use this API unless you using X" anything purposely removed from Wine is an invalid configuration.

As I mentioned before, I understand that the developer wants me to use a version of Wine with all dependencies met (which I assure everyone will happen - I've just been away from my desktop (where all of this is going on) for a few days now (I'll hopefully have a chance later today, however)) but my point in these kinds of indications is that of the two unmet dependencies I can assure you have not functionality in the program I am trying to run (a game called Supreme Commander) so even though Windows likely has implementation for these and Wine, as such, should as well, the program I am trying to run has not affiliation to ANY functions directly related to these libraries (libgphoto2 - digital camera capabilities; and liblcms - network connection libraries)

vitamin wrote:
> This is all well and good, but you haven't mentioned what video drivers you have and what card and drivers your friend use.

I did mention mine:

alienjon wrote:
> Additionally, I am using a GeForce 7600GS card with the latest drivers (180.60, I believe

I did not, as you pointed out, mention the other individual's, however.  I do not know the exact model, but I know he is using an nVidia GeForce card as well and that it is a higher-numbered model than mine.  He is using the exact same drivers, however.