[Wine] Re: Team Fortress 2 Issues

Addys wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jun 8 21:57:05 CDT 2009

wat wrote:
> Tried everything else already. Just tried disabling PulseAudio, I get a 1-second flash of the Valve loading screen before it disappears (with no sounds). So that didn't work.
>
> Okay, I managed to get it to run in a window, but it freezes at the loading screen after the Valve splash logo.

I had to go through a lot of wineprefixes to get tf2 right. Sometimes the files would just get corrupt and so on. Here's a small checklist that has chances to get it working :)
Feel free to skip to step 5 directly first, and try from the beginning if that doesn't work.

1. Create a fresh WINEPREFIX to any location you like. I like to keep mine in .wine/prefixes)
2. Install steam to that wineprefix (WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/prefixes/steam wine start SteamInstall.msi)
3. Install TF2 there; move the files in steamapps if you don't have the time to redownload.
4. Disable Steam Community in-game layer in File=>Settings=>In-game
5. Change launch options to the following: -dxlevel 81 -windowed -noborder -width 1440 -height 900 -novid
(Tweak the resolution if necessary)

Also make sure you are running recent nvidia drivers. 9800GTX+ running 185.19 here, best is anything 180+. I removed pulseaudio entirely, too, but it may work with if you're lucky.
Apart from the graphics card I got exactly your configuration, it should work just fine.