[Wine] Re: Forcing Application Resolutions

blokx wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jun 11 09:44:55 CDT 2009

I was just about to create a thread that is very similar to this one.  So I'll just append your post with a post of my own.

Staying in the realm of Blizzard games, I'm attempting to play Diablo 2.  I have it working great, but this is what I would like to make happen...

Right now I run Diablo 2 in windowed mode (passing in the -w command in the shortcut).  This works fine but the largest window I can get is 800x600 since that's the largest resolution D2 has to offer.  This is a little bit too small.

I set the Wine virtual desktop to be 1024x768, and I've set wine to open in a virtual desktop from now on.  Then I set D2 to run in fullscreen (passing in -d3d instead of -w).  So what I was hoping would happen is that Wine would create a windows desktop that is 1024x768, then Diablo 2 would run in fullscreen (fill all of the 1024x768).  This didn't happen.

When I start D2, Wine starts up and is 1024x768.  As soon as D2 boots up, even though it's in fullscreen, Wine shrinks itself down to 800x600 to match D2.  I get D2 in a window still, tricking it to be "fullscreen" in a virtual desktop.  But why does Wine resize it's resolution?!

I'm basically trying to get D2, in Wine, windowed, at 1024x768.

Is there a way to do this?  To make it simple, is there a way to make Wine stop snapping it's size to the application inside it?