[Wine] Re: Usage of "wine" s/w to open a windows based applic

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jun 12 17:11:19 CDT 2009

Currently, the best way to test if an application in Wine is by trying it. This can always be done by choosing to "open" the exe file with Wine in your file manager of choice, or by opening a terminal, cd'ing to the directory where the exe is, and running this command:

wine appname.exe

If the application is run through a file manager, one loses the ability to see if the application crashes spectaculary or not (well, sometimes a Wine "crash" window will open, but not always). Running the application in the terminal will also provide you with any output that you can send to bugs.winehq.org if the application does not run in the end. This will help the Wine developers fix the bug at some point in time.

Another important note is that Wine can not usually handle special external hardware directly (I can imagine plenty of scientific devices that communicate directly with special scientific software); if any of the applications use such devices they will probably not work in Wine. A workaround could be available if the device itself is detected correctly by the Linux distribution, but this kind of thing falls outside my own area of knowledge.

I hope that you get the application running without any problems. :)