[Wine] Re: Wine-linux-ppc32 working status and future enchantments

xexaxo wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jun 12 19:43:03 CDT 2009

I am sorry Austin but did no see your post at the first time. Do you have any idea why is the edit button missing it this forum ?

austin987 wrote:

> > 2. During the first run of wine a ~/.wine/ folder is created with all the *.reg and *inf files. Now correct me if I'm wrong wine calls winebuild to compile/convert the existing *.dll.so files by making them a Win PE32. Making a Win PE header file with all the necessary EXPORT and IMPORT functions but the EXPORT functions are actually implemented in a native way ( common on the platform and CPU architecture )
> >

> No...they're ELF binaries, not PE.

Code:
file /media/disk/home/emo/.wine/drive_c/windows/notepad.exe
/media/disk/home/emo/.wine/drive_c/windows/notepad.exe: PE32 executable for MS Windows (GUI) Intel 80386 32-bit

Wrong detection ??
I meant that notepad.exe is infact a ELF file with a Win PE32 header. Am i wrong again?

austin987 wrote:

> > 3. After the creation of .wine directory the program can be loaded and executed. All the IMPORT functions are handled properly but is there any "conversion" between the different architectures. Meaning does the parameters passed to the library are handled in a ASM or in any higher programing language.
> >

> No, there is no conversion. Which is why wine on the PPC isn't very
> useful, since it can't run Win32 applications, unless you wrap it with
> a CPU emulator, like the old Darwine project used to do.

That is "everything" else from the IMPORT EXPORT functions is sent direct to the CPU?

Any idea in which part of the wine project ( loader/server/tools ) I would dig to find out that last bit. Hopefully after looking at the source of Darwine and qemu, I might come up with a solution ?