[Wine] Re: Help for a dummy running wine on OS X

krazykarl1988 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 14 19:23:43 CDT 2009

krslynx wrote:
> A wild stab in the dark ... Cheers,
>
> -krslynx

Thanks krslynx.  Unfortunately, neither running the program under Windows XP or 98 (the OS suggested in the CnC 1.04 AppDB) works.

OK, when I setup wine I did the following, more or less to the letter:
Installed MacPorts and all extras needed (Xcode, Xquarts... etc).  In Terminal, I entered sudo port install wine.  It did its thing, taking about 40 minutes and when it finished I added a couple other things.  First I added cabextract via sudo port install cabextract, and then installed winetricks via the same method.  Using winetricks I installed all fonts, most codecs (the install all codecs fails at one of the programs, I don't remember which).  I also installed vcrun6, firefox 3, and vb6run.  I also tried to install vcrun 2005 and 2008, but neither worked, both processes aborted.  I believe I installed the MS Installer (msi2) and gecko for ff.  That's about all I can remember.

Other options I've selected under winecfg are: I have everything running in a desktop and my default os is xp (which I had to change with winetricks since XP and Vista did not appear in the drop down menu of the winecfg gui).  I added three other things in regedit when I was trying to get battlefield heroes to work (which, incidentally, I never succeeded at).  Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER:SOFTWARE:WINE:Direct3D: I added new keys for DirectDrawRenderer, OffscreenRendering and RenderTargetLock.

That's what I have right now.  And to reiterate, I can't even install the stupid program.  When I run Autorun.exe, I get a window with music and three button options: Install, Preview CD, and some other thing that I don't remember.  If I hit install, X11 freezes, and wine has a fit.  I can't even run winecfg again until I reboot the entire machine, yikes.

Ok, so there's a real mess for ya :P  What do you suggest?