[Wine] Having trouble as a new linux user

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Jun 15 11:58:43 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 11:00 -0500, mik1019 wrote:
> That doesn't make much sense My OS isnt the issue its WINES
> Dependancies that are hold me up... something about required lib files
> or some crap.

Lib files are never crap. Its usual for common parts of the suite of
programs making up a complex application to be abstracted into
dynamically loaded library. Doing this makes the programmer's job easier
as well as mimimising RAM requirements and maximising loading speed.
And, as this is Open Source not a locked proprietary box, people writing
similar applications may reuse one or two of the original application's
libraries rather than writing, testing and debugging the functionally
identical code. Part of your problem is that dependencies can cascade as
I described above and, without an internet connection, getting Wine
installed is going to be a rather tiresome process.

Anyway, now you have a list of the immediate dependencies of the wine
rpm, so try the following sequence:

- Make a list of any of the dependencies that are on your Linux install
  source. I'm assuming you didn't install everything on the DVD or CD
  set - most people don't.
- Use your package installer to install these.
- Download any rpms that weren't on the install source and install
  them too.
- now install the wine.rpm

Repeat this process until all dependencies are satisfied and wine is
successfully installed. Remember that its quite possible that wine
dependencies have dependencies of their own.

Martin