[Wine] Network share prevents running Wine?

tomatogoatee wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jun 18 18:56:19 CDT 2009

I've tried finding a solution to this, but can't find anything. Not even a similar problem. If someone has posted this before, but under a different problem description, I will gracefully accept whatever flaming may be rendered upon me.

I'll try to provide as much information as possible. I was trying to launch Steam on my laptop while not connected to any network (hard-wire or wireless) and nothing ever happened. I checked ps aux for Steam and, sure enough, it was showing as running. But I couldn't do anything with it. Thinking the install might be corrupt, I connected to the hard-wire network to find a solution when suddenly it came up! At first I thought it might have just taken longer than usual to load, but I closed and re-opened it to make sure it was working and, sure enough, it was working fine. So I once again disconnected the network and tried to bring it up. Again, nothing happened. So I plugged the network in again and it popped up immediately.

I tried to run a different Wine app (PSPad) to see if it was just Steam that was acting weird, but it's not. It appeared that nothing was going to launch unless I was connected to a network. (Mind you, it didn't have to be the internet, I just needed to have an active network connection.)

I did a little digging and decided to unmount a network share I had been using, but didn't bother to unmount before disconnecting from the network and apparently THAT was preventing Wine from launching correctly, even though neither app bore any reference to the mounted directory.

While it isn't a problem for me to unmount network shares before using Wine, is there a fix for this problem?