[Wine] Best OS

Fri Jun 19 16:50:16 CDT 2009

James Mckenzie schreef:
>> asmith wrote:
>>> Thanks for the replay.
>>>
>>> The host is not offering me Ubuntu. Just the 3 OS mentioned above.
>>> You probably would laugh ;), But I've never used a linux for my pc. I've been on linux servers only for sites I work on, A combination of apache and php5.
>>> I've never touched one closely.
>> A VPS is wrong to start with if you want to do things like that. Ubuntu
>> is really easy for beginners; what I think is best for you is to install
>> Ubuntu either on your own (separate partition or something) or another
>> PC, and then start using it. Learn to use Wine and learn to do things on
>> Wine with it.
>>
> Some folks have a problem reading:
>
> The OP is going to access a hosted computer that is provided by the VPS (ISP).  The OP HAS NO CHOICE IN WHAT DISTRO TO USE, THERE ARE THREE AND ONLY THREE.  Please limit comments to only those that the OP can use.

Since you seem to LIKE USING CAPITAL ALPHANUMERIC CHARACTERS, let me
assure you I read the original comment and KNOW HE HAS NO CHOICE IN WHAT
DISTRO TO USE (ON HIS VPS (ISP)), THERE ARE THREE AND ONLY THREE. Since
he said this was his first real contact with Linux, I advised him to
install Ubuntu either on your own or another PC - let me repeat that,
that is "either on your own PC or on another PC" (for example, another
PC at home). This is to let him get more experience with using a Linux
distro, using Wine, and using his image conversion programs, before he
actually spends money on a VPS that may otherwise be a useless
disappointment. Some folks have a problem reading, which is not a
problem, if they wouldn't be so agressive in telling other people *they*
can't read :-)

Other than that, it's quite easy to migrate a remote Debian machine to
Ubuntu since they are so much related. At least it is if you have got
the experience for it, so I wouldn't advise it for this user.

Sjors