[Wine] Re: How can I detect WINE from my program?

Tahtu wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 21 01:46:48 CDT 2009

vitamin wrote:
> However keep in mind that fixing Wine is always a most preferred solution.

8 month ago I reported a bug - together with a suggestion how to fix it inside the source code. I was just one line to change.

This week the fix has been overtaken.

I'm sorry, but I for myself really not motivated to assist a team who needs so much time, if I suggest a fix directly inside the related source code.

I'm thinking to allow the usage of my shareware application under Wine for free. So native Windows user should pay for it - but not Wine users. I'm thinking about this to support Linux and Wine in respect of all the work.

To do this I need a way to detect Wine as well.

So imho this is a good reason to allow Windows programs to detect Wine.

Since Wine is still very buggy and I'm not motivated to bother my users 8 month with a Wine bug - I would implement work a rounds into my application. For this I need to detect the Wine version as well.

PS
Please do not answer this posting. This is not a request about help - it's a note to think about it...