[Wine] Problem running anything in Wine.

koubanator wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 21 21:30:19 CDT 2009

So, I am new to Ubuntu, but not Linux itself as we use it at work (Gentoo).  I'm trying to get WoW, Fallout 3, COD:MW, etc.... to install, but i get the following error.

The program Installer.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine.  You may want t check http://appdb.winehq.org for tips about running this application.

If this problem is not present under Windows and has not been reported yet, you can report it at http://bugs.winehq.org.

I've checked all the forums, and such, but can't find anything.  I have reinstalled Wine three times now.  Yes, I have the latest 1.1.24.  I've tried running it in Vista, XP, and 2000.  I also tried in Win98 and downloading dcom98 from Winetricks.  Really confused on this one.  Also, on WoW, I am using the Download Client, as I know that works a lot better.

Any insight would be nice, as I'm about ready to kick myself.