[Wine] ATI driver needed to run D3D games?

severian wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jun 22 11:11:43 CDT 2009

Hello,
I'm quite new in Wine and haven't been able tu run any games. The last two games tested are installing fine but when I tried to launch them I have a message saying that graphic device is below our min specs.
My graphic card is ATI V5250 Mobility and because I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 i can't install ATI proprietary drivers which are not supported anymore with xorg 1.6.

So my question is do I need this ATI prop driver or could games such as SPORE or Drakensang run without them. I have MESA 7.4 installed and direct render=yes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.