[Wine] Re: Steam Games Don't Work. Please Help!

Svenn Are Bjerkem wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jun 24 15:43:00 CDT 2009

MooTM wrote:

> So you think I should UPGRADE from 1.1.23 Beta to 1.1.24 Beta which is going to still be a bit unstable, rather than downgrade to a stable version; 1.0.1? Thnx for the help, I will wait for more replies and see what the majority says before taking a decision (not saying that your advice is wrong). In the mean time, I don't suppose you could tell me how to update plz? (it's probably really simple, but I'm new to Linux). Thnx for the help all the same

With synaptic package manager (I'm on debian, mother of [K]Ubuntu) you can force packages to install from other repositories than the one you originally installed from. You will probably have to add something like and "experimental" or "unstable" line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file (Synaptic offers this in Settings->Repositories, Third-party Software). Since I use Debian, your Kubuntu milage may vary, but if you have a search on ubuntuforums, I guess you will find how to write an apt line to get more experimental versions. Just for the record, in Debian experimental, wine-1.1.22 is available and not the newer betas listed above. Then you may need to compile from source. Nice practical exercise for a newbe :-) Tip: search for compiling debian package from source in your favourite search engine.

--
Svenn