[Wine] Steam Games Don't Work. Please Help!

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Wed Jun 24 16:55:51 CDT 2009

MooTM wrote:
> If you know how, could you maybe tell me how to do this please? (I'm new to Linux, it's so complicated lol!) Thnx v. much again!

If I remember correctly you are using Ubuntu. If that is correct you can
go to this page: http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html
and download the package for your computer of the version you want, this
lists versions older than the current one in your repositories. Once you
have finished the download you should be able to install by double
clicking on the package.

If you are not in Ubuntu go to this page: http://www.winehq.org/download
and follow the link for your distribution. Most of them will either have
a list of versions to choose from or a link to another page that has
them (except the Fedora page, that one is not newbie friendly).

Another page to bookmark in case you need it in the future is this one:
http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/installing-wine-source
That has instructions for installing wine from the source code. You will
need to do that if you ever land in a spot where the version you need
doesn't have packages pre-built for your distribution of Linux. You
should not need it right now, but it's a handy page to mark.