[Wine] Re: use unc printernames

oger000 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jun 26 04:40:54 CDT 2009

vitamin wrote:

> Code:
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Printing\Spooler]
> "LPT1:"="|lpr"
> "LPT2:"="|kprinter --stdin"

No way. I have allready tried, but it will not work.

If using LPTx the application checks itself for the physical existance of the printer, which is not the case. And even if I plug a printer, I am not shure if wine replies the answer that the appplication is needing. (Seams to be a reminding check from beeing a dos-applicaiton before)

I solved it a little strange, but it works (till now):
1) The application can print to file
2) I created a linux-fifo file "mkfifo lptfake"
3) A endless looping script that "watches" the fifo file:
script1:

Code:

while [ 1 ] ; do
  lpr -l -P myprinter < lptfake
done

4) Started this script via nohup into background from a init script

Code:

nohup script1 >> script1.log 2>&1 &

May be this is of use for other applications that have problems with printing and can "print to file" without printer selection dialog.