[Wine] Re: Does wine bottleneck framerate?

Thunderbird wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jun 27 09:01:13 CDT 2009

Wine always uses its own Direct3D dlls. Native d3d8, d3d9 friends don't work the only thing the directx installer adds (and which we can use) are d3dx9_*.dll which are helper dlls and which under the hood just call d3d9.dll which is the wine dll.

We translate direct3d to opengl, there are some inefficiencies in that. Depending on the opengl driver not all operations can be translated due to lack of opengl driver features. Further not all Linux opengl drivers are of the same quality as the Windows ones which also limited performance. In the best cases on Nvidia hardware we can achieve 80% of the windows performance (hl2 on a geforce7 compared to vista). In various d3d9 games it can be quite a bit less due to the issues I mentioned above. Opengl apps should perform the same between Windows and Linux if the drivers perform the same.