[Wine] Re: WINE install of Dreamweaver MX fails

shobuz99 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 28 08:20:17 CDT 2009

dimesio wrote:

> shobuz99 wrote:
> >
> > uuhh..right. I have zero experience with "source control mechanisms, like CVS or Bazaar"...
> > I took a look at git-wine and downloaded the 1.6.3.tar group of 3 files and then kept reading the instructions, and it became clear to me that I know nothing about what I'm actually doing.. for instance the cloning part.
> >
> > Sorry, but this is way over my head...unless you'd really want to give me a step-by-step tute on attaining the git-wine process, etc.
> > I don't expect you to do that. I am capable of reading instructions and all, and I've got some baic understanding of linux/unix/aix....BUT, this is very involved IMO.
> > I may just give up trying to do this. I mean, it's all for the sake of using an windows app that I can't do without as a tool for web design. I'm an old guy. Set in my ways. Willing to learn; but cautious.
> > Thanks for all your help...even if you still want to help me. I'll try.
>

> Forget about git for now. Just install 1.1.24 through your package manager.
>
> 1. Delete your current ~/.wine with
>
> Code:
> rm -rf ~/.wine
>

> 2. Insert your Dreamweaver CD and let it automount.
>
> 3. As a normal user, run winecfg from the command line. A new ~/.wine will automatically be created.
>
> 4. In winecfg, go to the drives tab and make sure the CD drive has been detected and mapped. If it has, close winecfg and run the Dreamweaver  installer from the command line.
>
> If any of this fails at any point, post console output.

ok. Did 1. no problem.  I tried running winecfg and got a huge error output in terminal; but I couldn't capture it because it logged me out and forced me to log back in to Ubuntu.
So, once I logged back in, I decided to really remove ALL of the Wine pkgs through Synaptic pkg mgr. Once that was done i wen back and reloaded them...
ver 1.1.24 is the latest ver listed in synaptic pkg mgr.

Did 2. and the CD started and the icon appeared on the desktop. Autorun tried and failed, like before.
Did 3. Winecfg opened with no errors and I selected the drive tab and here is the output results from winecfg, in terminal, that I got previously:
rick at rick-desktop:~$ winecfg
err:winecfg:open_mountmgr failed to open mount manager err 2
err:winecfg:open_mountmgr failed to open mount manager err 2
err:winecfg:open_mountmgr failed to open mount manager err 2
rick at rick-desktop:~$

So..in summary: clean Wine, mounted Cd, winecfg ok until I clicked the drives tab...then I busted.
Should I make sure that the dosdevices folder is removed from /.wine?
It appears to name the cdrom drive as z:
BTW.. the "mount manager error" is a relatively new wrinkle that has occurred over the past few days of my install attempts and trying things recommended as well as my own experiments...much to my dismay.
I'm not sure what has caused this, but in the beginning of my unsuccessful attempts to install DWMX from cd; this error did not occur.
I'm not sure what I may have done to mess this up? Can it be corrected? What else must be done?
Thanks for your help..
Rick (shobuz99)