[Wine] Re: World of Warcraft and Wine.

sub.mesa wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 28 12:23:57 CDT 2009

SyntheticToast wrote:
> My boyfriend and I have been really frustrated trying to get WoW to work on Jaunty with Wine,
>
> We think perhaps one of the biggest problems we're having is downloading the latest patches.
>
> Normally when there are new patches they automatically update themselves, but when they go to the loading screen, it freezes and doesn't work.

I had the exact same problem, using Ubuntu 8.10/9.04 64-bit and up-to-date wine from repo. All problems disappeared after i re-installed in a clean .wine directory. Actually, moving the drive_c to a clean wine directory might be sufficient. Also make sure you start the .exe using padsp, like this:

cd /home/.clean.wine/drive_c/Games/WoW/
padsp wine Launcher.exe

That would load the launcher, which will update itself and then WoW also. Try to see if it works for you too!