[Wine] Re: Wine installed - but it's not there

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jun 29 08:27:43 CDT 2009

MT Brain wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I just installed the newest Wine version (1.1.24) through the Synaptic Package Manager, but it's nowhere to be found. There is no entry in my "applications" menu, and there's no Wine folder in my home directory.
>
> I'm on 64 bit Jaunty, and I've been having trouble with Wine since I first used it (on Intrepid in March). Through constantly uninstalling and re-installing it, trying to configure it etc. to get Windows software to run (which either wouldn't run to begin with or would stop running at some point, preferably after automatic updates to Ubuntu), I'm afraid I screwed it up. But perhaps anybody has an idea how to get it to run? Or to be installed in the first place? It seems there is residue from old installations left, I also still have a Wine-Doors folder in my Home directory, I thought I uninstalled that as well.
>
> Thanks guys...

The default wine prefix (~/.wine) is a hidden folder. It is not actually created until the first time you run Wine, so if you haven't tried to install anything yet, it won't exist.

Open a terminal and run winecfg. If you don't have a ~/.wine yet, that will create one.

To get rid of "residue" from old installations, follow these instructions: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-9893ae50079ca7a959258f0bc9a17aaf2e69b391

As for Wine-Doors, that's not supported here. Ask them.