[Wine] Map a network CD Drive

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Tue Jun 30 13:17:18 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 19:24, roygbiv<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Thanks again,
>
> That's where I am coming unstuck. Where is the folder? In the file browser I see the drive as mounted under places, but cannot figure out where to reference it. The media folder has cdrom and cdrom0 folders but these are empty. When I go into the mounted drive in places I see this files on the cd in the drive

In Gnome, you can use the edit button next to the directory name to
see the path.

A more universal methods, is to look for it from the 'mount' command's
output. (samba mounts are supposed to be smbfs / cifs IIRC)

If it uses the smb:// notation, you would probably need to mount it
manually before using it in Wine. (a FUSE driver that enables you to
browser the entire Winodws network within a directory exist as well)

iSCSI might be a more elegant (but a lot harder to setup) solution
(and MIGHT (with the right features) allow things like games' copy
protection and writing to the remote drive to work...) You would need
a iSCSI target on the Windows box and an initiator on the Linux box...

Some targets for Windows with free versions (that seem to support
exporting an entire drive):
http://www.rocketdivision.com/download_starwind.html
http://www.kernsafe.com/product.aspx?id=5&&name=License+Types

Background: