[Wine] Re: Map a network CD Drive

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jun 30 14:02:15 CDT 2009

[quote="roygbiv"]Thks Jorl17

I think I am getting somewhere.

Now for a total newbie pls help me understand

> do a cat /proc/mount and search for "gvfs-fuse-daemon".
>
> I only install Ubuntu two days ago!

Well, cat is a command that, putting it simple, 'prints out something'. And, since in UNIX (and Linux) everything is a file (roughly), you can 'see' the contents of a file located in the /proc directory which is called mounts. This file (/proc/mounts) allows you to see 'what' and 'where' is stuff mounted. (as well as some other info).

FUSE is a way to have filesystems created without modifying the kernel, so Samba (the application used to access Windows Shares and Printers) uses FUSE to do its mount tasks.

And, from my experience, it mounts stuff in the FUSE directory (or is that manadatory, correct me if wrong, please), so you need to find where FUSE is mounting its stuff and the Samba shares will be there!

using cat to see the cntents of the /proc/mounts file, you can see where FUSE is, by finding its line. But since you are only looking for its line, you can 'filter' them all by using grep.

So you can open up a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal, I think) and type:

Code:
cat /proc/mounts | grep gvfs-fuse-daemon

Now you should have output, search for the second piece of text which is the location of the place where Samba usually mounts everything!

But really, until you've gotten used to Unix, this is all going to sound whacko.

Sorry, I took a bit longer than I expect to answer, since I decided to test that to see if it works (with a folder, not a CD-Drive). Surprise, surprise -- it does!

Good luck,

Jorl17