[Wine] Map a network CD Drive

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Tue Jun 30 14:34:45 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 21:05, jorl17<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> For some reason, I can't edit my post, sorry. Anyway, check what Gert van den Berg said. It might be a hell more efficient to try to use a more relaible method for using a CD-Drive far far away from the machine ;)

And harder... Or at least more unknown.

roygbiv: The Ubunut formus might be able to give you a quicker / more
accurate awnser on the specific location of Samba mounts under Ubuntu.

It might also be easier to try and create a ISO CD image and to mount
that under Linux. (The command prompt version is "mount -o loop
/path/to/image.iso /mnt/mountpointname" with the mountpoint an empty
directory) You then add the mountpoint in winecfg and and set it as a
cd-rom. (cdemu is needed for more advanced funtionality, such as
playing audio cd's/ VCDs) ISO CD images can easily be created under
Windows with ImgBurn (or most CD writing programs, although outputting
to an ISO is often not obvious). Under Linux dd can be used, as well
as most CD writing programs.

imgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=screenshots#isoread
dd image creation:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-creating-cd-rom-iso-image.html
(Try k3b, etc is probably less intimidating..)

jorl17: Editing was disabled, because it broke mailing-list
integration IIRC. See this thread:
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2009-June/076320.html

Gert