[Wine] Esword just started crashing with segmentation fault

lostandfound wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 1 02:54:37 CST 2009

Hi all,

Been using Esword for months on a self-compiled wine (the self-compilation was for WC3 hosting, but that's another story). Just today I tried to start it up as usual and it flashed the main window and crashed. Running the command from the terminal just gives me the cryptic 'segmentation fault' error.

I've tried upgrading Wine to 1.15 and 1.16 both, as well as a downgrade to 1.01 (official version in Ubuntu repos). The error does not occur for any other apps on whichever version of Wine (I run various games as well as Esword on Wine), only Esword. I was using Esword 7.9.8, version 8.0.6 gives exactly the same error, even when installed from scratch.

Recent changes I've made include changing my compiz setup (I disabled compiz to be sure that's not the case, the problem still happens) and editing my conky scripts. No major system updates (Intrepid updates have slowed to almost none).

My system is:-
Intrepid Ibex Ubuntu 8.10 amd64
Wine versions - various, as mentioned above
Steps to reproduce - if you have my system, just install based with riched20 and oleaut32 native, that's the settings that have always worked for me for Esword.

Please advise on what else I can do for trouble-shooting. I did not set the WINEDEBUG variable, so I have a couple of fixme's, but those have not changed from before when Esword was previously working.