[Wine] Java crashes in wined3d.dll

Rick Jones wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 1 15:04:11 CST 2009

I'm trying to run a Java program in Wine on 2 different machines, and on one it crashes when it tries to draw the main window. The crash is in native code called from wined3d.dll.

I'm not sure why it needs to use wined3d as it's just displaying an ordinary workaday application window, nothing fancy, but it seems that awt.dll calls d3d9.dll anyway, which then calls wined3d.

The machine it fails on uses an Nvidia graphics card (5200 GPU), the one that works uses Intel graphics (Asus Eee netbook). I've tried disabling the Nvidia accelerated driver and it makes no difference.

I'm running Wine 1.1.16 on Ubunto 8.10. Is this a known problem, are there any workrounds?

(of course being a Java program it shouldn't really be necessary to use Wine, but currently it's only available as a Windows build - shame)

TIA, Rick