[Wine] Pros & Cons - Microsoft Office on Macintosh OS X

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 1 21:56:19 CST 2009

VE Day <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote on March 1st:

>Hello Boys and Girls and Everybody.
>I have recently started using a Macintosh computer to replace the dinosaur of an unbelievably unreliable PC that I have been using for the last 10 years. So far I have been very pleased. I have been using OpenOffice for quite a while now as I find it is mostly superior to Microsoft Office in many ways, HOWEVER - OpenOffice lacks the Voice Recognition Software that I have been using more and more in Microsoft Office, plus I cannot use Open Office to format documents using Textboxes.

Please do the OpenOffice.org folks a favor and file a bug report for this as an enhancement request for the Mac.

>My understanding is that by installing Wine onto my Macintosh OS X I may be able to install my copy of Microsoft Office Professional 2003 - but will the facilities in Microsoft Office such as Voice Recognition Software work if I install it on a Macintosh using Wine?  (I have a 2GB Intel Macintosh)

You should be able to install Office 2003, but please visit the Applications Database for hints and how-to information before attempting the installation.

>My memory tells me that to get the Voice Recognition software in Microsoft Office working on my PC I had to go to Control Panel and fiddle with some commands there before I could use Voice Recognition Software because  although the Voice Recognition Software comes as standard with Microsoft Office 2003 it does not install automatically when you install the software.

Most of the folks here use Dragon Naturally Speaking version 8 as it has the best support from Wine.  I don't know if the internal feature of Microsoft Office 2003 is supported under Wine and my opinion is that it is not as this appears to be a feature of WindowsXP and WindowsVista.

>Please is there anyone with experience of installing this using Wine that can advise?

Please visit the Applications Database.  There is a wealth of knowledge there on how-to install applications and features.

Also, which version of Wine are you planning to use?

James Mckenzie