[Wine] Fedora 10 - update killed text input to Wine

edgar_rice wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Mar 2 20:34:49 CST 2009

This weekend I built a new machine running Fedora 10, its software was up to date as of Saturday morning (I think, maybe Friday evening).

I installed Wine with "yum" (version 1.1.14).

I managed to get Diablo 2 LOD installed and working (flawlessly!). I was happily playing this afternoon, then exited the game and ran "yum update".

After the update text input did not work (the mouse worked fine). Not even the Wine notepad will take text.

There were 45 megabytes in the update, there was a new kernel, I *think* there was a new SDL, I *think* there was a new xorg. I tried backing out the new kernel, but that had no effect.

I've since wiped out the entire install, "yum erase wine", deleted my .wine directory, and started again. I tried to re-install Diablo 2, but it would not accept text input into the key registration dialog. That's when I tested notepad and saw that it did not work, either.

There were no wine* packages that were updated, so I'm quite sure it is not a wine bug. Something else killed it (I'm thinking maybe SDL). I have no idea how to back up to a prior version of a package.

Very disappointing...