[Wine] How do you fix that gdi32.dll error?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 4 20:21:54 CST 2009

Samuel Pinches wrote:
> Hi, I'm Sam, I'm new to the mail list (and mailing lists in general) -
> sorry for any basic mistakes I make!
> I basically a noob when it comes to compiling things, and a beginner
> at the command line. I think I messed a couple of things up, and was
> wondering if anyone knew how I could fix any of them.
> The story so far:
> I had one of the old Darwine builds working ok with a couple apps, but
> when I couldn't get flash or shockwave versions working (it would
> crash firefox.exe) , I searched around for newer builds. I tried
> macports (through porticus gui) and installed wine from there, then
> tried to uninstall it as I discovered it had no application that I
> could run, and that exe's couldn't be directly launched from the
> finder like darwine. Well, it failed to uninstall all the dependancies
> it had installed so i uninstalled all of them one by one.
> I then deleted all wine elements I could find, including the .plist
> and the .wine directory.
> I tried the .pkg installer for darwine 1.1.14 and chose to install all
> the font/text tools with it, but now I get the dreaded gdi32.dll
> message and have no clue how to fix it. I have downloaded the latest
> Xquartz but haven't installed it yet.

Your problem is that you installed MacPorts and did not remove the
library files it installed.  Please go to the MacPorts site and ask
there on how to do this.

BTW, I will be uploading a build of Wine 1.1.16 that runs on my system
and does not include any of the Fink or MacPorts products
> Is there a way I can fix the mess I made? Should I re-install X11 from
> the restore DVD first?
You should not need to reinstall X11.  However, I would like to know
what version of MacOSX you are using and if your system is PowerPC  or
Intel based.

Thank you.

James McKenzie