[Wine] Trying to install Oracle 10gR2 client

JustZisGuy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 7 18:46:35 CST 2009

Well, I have been trying to see if I can get the installer for the Oracle 10gR2 Client to install. (Available from here: http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10201winsoft.html )

The first problem I encountered was some kind of JRE DirectDraw problem that I can work around with an extra command line parameter (setup -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true). This gets the installer to run.

But what has me stumped is that when it starts the actual installation process of creating folders and copying files, it modifies the file permissions - in such a way that it can no longer write to the folder! And the installer bombs out.

I think the idea is, when installing under Windows, it is trying to make sure "SYSTEM" has full access, but appears to do that by removing "Everyone" and adding specific groups.

Anyway, I am looking for any possible workaround. Is there some way to tell Wine not to mess with file permissions?

I tried changing the owner of the folder beforehand but since it looks like an NTFS drive, it expects to be able to manipulate the permissions, and promptly bombs out. Same thing when I pointed it to a FAT drive that doesn't have these kinds of permissions - although the drive still reported as NTFS to Wine. A long time ago there used to be a way to specify the file system type for Wine, is there way to tell Wine to report that as a FAT/FAT32 drive currently? The Oracle 10g Client CAN be installed to a FAT drive under Windows and there it doesn't complain about being unable to set permissions.

Any ideas? Thanks.