[Wine] Trying to install Oracle 10gR2 client

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Mar 8 11:52:09 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 11:10 -0500, JustZisGuy wrote:

> And I did try installing it to a FAT partition from Wine, but that
> didn't help as the installer still thought it was NTFS and tried to
> set the permissions anyway.

Still thinking slightly out of the box, there might be other ways round
this.

Oracle itself is available as a Linux port: I've used it there via JBDC
from a Java application running under XP but I don't understand the
structure of the Oracle installation packages or how you want to use it,
so take the following with sa grain of salt.

How about installing Oracle for Linux and configuring it as you would on
a remote server. Then install just the client-side bits under Wine. They
can talk to the Oracle DB server via Linux's internal localhost
network.

If the Client1 package is just the libraries that implement Oracle's
native client interface you should be able to install them on Windows
without the rest of Oracle: after all thats the setup when the client is
a Windows application. So, what happens if you try to install just the
Windows Client1 package under Wine? This should also work if you're
using ODBC rather than the native interface.

Martin