[Wine] Unable to start Empire: Total War

Djembe davedrouin at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:13:32 CDT 2009

I installed it last night through steam as well.  It started up but there was
no sound and then it crash when I tried to start a campaign.   I then edited
the launcher cmd line to match what I use for EVE Online and so far
everything works fine  - sound too - and no crashes.

Click Applications -> Wine -> Configure Wine
Click Audio
Check the OSS Driver box and deselect any others
Click OK
Right click your Empire Total War icon on your desktop.
Click Properties
Click Launcher
Copy the contents on the Command textbox somewhere to backup the original
entry - for example mine was:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "C:\Program
Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10500

Change that to this:
padsp wine explorer /desktop=0,1024x768 "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe"

Modify the 1024x768 to whatever dimensions you'd like.

See if this works for you.