[Wine] HELP-No sound input

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Mar 10 15:40:51 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 04:11 -0500, mdharp wrote:
> Ubuntu 8.04, Wine installed & Reaper etc all playing back fine, but no audio input. No audio input available pre Wine install in eg; Audacity & Ardour.
> Used Prefs > Sound & set all to ALSA & MAudio ALSA where defined.
>
> Tried Wine > Audio Config - freezes whole system & doesn't resolve.
>
> G'byte MoBo Realtek card disabled in Bios, so only 1 audio device in operation (MAudio Delta 192).
> My system AMD x2 x64 +3800 cpu, G'byte NVidia grfx card, MAudio Delta 192 soundcard. All installed & updated last week.
>
> Getting close to giving up on my "Windows free" dream here !!!
>
> All help appreciated (relative noob to Linux, so please try to keep tips etc simple to understand).

I'm running Fedora 9 rather than Ubuntu, but I have no problems with
audio input. Hardware is a Lenovo R61i laptop. You don't say what you're
doing with audio in, but as you're using Audacity, its probably similar
to me (making CDs from my collection of vinyl and cassette tape albums
that aren't available on CD).

I'm using a U-record 'external sound card' as the sound source. In case
you don't know them, 'external sound cards' are just a level control and
an input selector (line in or phono cartridge) together with a dual
channel ADC. They connect to the computer via USB, which powers them. I
use this as input to Audacity and it 'just works'. There are other,
higher quality units and some can output stereo or 5.1 surround sound
but I went with the U-Record because was cheap enough to be binnable if
it didn't work.

HTH
Martin