[Wine] OSX 10.5 - XQuartz 2.3.3 - GLX issue

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 11 09:08:40 CDT 2009

mastorak <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote on March 11th:

>Hi all,
>
>A couple of days ago I decided to give wine on a mac a try caused I got bored of dual booting my mac. I ve been A linux wine user for years and I had some pretty good results with it. I figured that i would have the same results on a mac but i guess I was wrong.
>
>I got my version (wine-devel packet  wine 1.1.16) from macports. Got winetricks as well.
>Everything were setup fine and everything was working fine. I got some windows programs running as well just for testing. So far so good.
>
>I also installed XQuartz version 2.3.2.1
>
>When I got to the part to make a game run though that was a different deal.
>I decided to start with Platinum game so i got my half life retail copy out to give it a try.
>It installed fine no problems launched from steam as well. But then the log gave me a
>
>Code:
>rr:wgl:has_opengl  glx_version is 1.2 and GLX_SGIX_fbconfig extension is unsupported. Expect problems.
>

>I suspected it had something to do with X11 implementation so i checked over at xquartz site and found this ticket discussion
>
>JeremyHu is providing a beta version of 2.3.3 that supposedly solves the issue as the ticket is set to resolved

Is this a release from XQuartz?  If not, then it is not official and should not be used.

>i tried it and I can report that it is not giving the same error code however it is not working
>for me either.
It is good to see the error code is gone, but the second item bothers me. See my comment below.

>The game launches but the x11 refuses to render the game on the screen i can hear sound though. I
>move windows over the screen in order to make it render something and the Valve logo is showing it
>stays for a few seconds and then crashes.

Report this to the XQuartz team.  Part of what they are trying to do is make OpenGL games work with XQuartz through Wine until a Mac specific port is developed.  Please check if your game has one before reporting as the XQuartz team will tell you that as a response.

One question thought, and you did not state it here.  Did you rebuild Wine after installing the beta?  If not, appropriate functions are not included and thus Wine will appear broken.

James McKenzie