[Wine] Re: Anyone who is experienced with wine and/or CrossOver

moniec15 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 11 21:56:34 CDT 2009

Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah, I used to play WoW on this laptop too. I even played FFxi via VMwF. Not to mention I have read that for PC users updating the drivers for the X3100 are able to play games that have DirectX10. I know the hardware can handle this game (or maybe I am just hoping very strongly), but I dont know...

@Rwoodsmall

Thanks for all the great info. I read the thread you directed me to, and I am so clueless. I think you might be our (I speak for the RoM Mac/Linux community that has been trying to get this game playable) hope. I haven't heard back from codeweavers, but I think you might actually be a better means of nailing down the problem. Since we have the same system (assuming you too are running 10.5.6 and have 4GB ram) you could set the record straight that, utilizing the tools currently available to us (wine, CxG/M, VMwF, etc), Mac/Linux users, up to and including systems such as the Macbook 4,1, can not run games utilizing graphics such as RoM. If you cant get it to run on your system, not because the software to do so isnt available or too time consuming or difficult to figure out, but because the hardware just wont support it, so be it. But it makes me wonder how the same machine running a different OS can successfully run the same piece of software.

Of course the option to run these games via bootcamp is always available, and I have heard that the game does run fine under bootcamp, but for the same reason we even have wine today is the reason I would like to see our Mac's hardware reach its full potential and run software such as RoM.

Please help me understand a few things if can. Lets say, that the problem has something to do with the drivers right. Can wine emulate an environment so as to be able to install new drivers into the emulated environment? Is it possible to download the new Intel drivers for the X3100, install them into a wine environment, then within that environment run the game? If this isnt possible, could wine simply decrease the quality or strain the game puts on the hardware?